Did any of you ever own a pair of leather slip-ons that you were required to wear to school at the demand of a dreadful dress code? Well, I did and let me tell you… I hated them. But times have changed (in a matter of speaking): The 90s are back and those slip-ons for which I harbored so much disdain have morphed into something magnificent, proving themselves to be one of the must-have items for fall. I suppose it’s time to dig deep into those boxes in the basement, because slippers are coming back strong.
I’m sure you’ve noticed that cool, crisp weather is officially upon us. I was pretty bummed to say goodbye to my summer sandals and Toms but recently, I’ve been spotting lovely ladies like Alexa Chung and Olivia Palermo sporting slipper-inspired loafers which appear to be just as comfortable as my trusty Toms. Comfort aside, these are also quite elegant and can undoubtedly dress up any evening outfit; and, unlike those 5” heels (respect, respect), these will not leave you with bulging blisters by night’s end. I have actually seen several celebs wearing these to red carpet events in place of plats or heels and they look absolutely adorable.
There is also a wide variety of slip-ons from which to choose. You’ve got your fur variety compliments of Aldo, shiny, patent ones by Steve Madden, classic velvet choices at Del Toro—the choice is yours! Whichever pair you ultimately buy, feel good knowing that you will be looking mighty fine and remaining mighty comfortable at the same time. Trust me… I’ve come to terms with my schoolgirl days and already taken pleasure in snapping up two pairs!
1. Stubbs & Wootton ‘Yes/No’ Slippers, $400
2. Stubbs & Wootton ‘Cane’ Slippers, $400
3. Aldo ‘Pratillo’ Loafers, $90
4. Steve Madden ‘Madee’ Tapestry Loafers, $80 (on sale)
5. Steven by Steve Madden ‘Madee-R’ Slip-on Loafers, $150
6. J.Crew ‘Darby’ Silk Faille Loafers, $288
7. Jeffrey Campbell Elegant Slipper with Studs, $163
8. Bass ‘Pierre’ Slip-ons, $70
9. Dolce Vita ‘Sicily’ Slip-ons, $84
10. Del Toro Customizable Embroidered Slip-ons, $365
Photo of Olivia provided courtesy of www.style.mtv.com