Few accessories, or articles of clothing for that matter, are able to ooze both class and sex appeal like a pair of long, luscious gloves. Also known as opera length gloves, these glamorous gauntlets have been a favorite of old Hollywood icons like Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn, all of whom fit the highly regarded sassy standard (classy + sexy).
That said, after revisiting the fall 2011 RTW collections of Lanvin, Maison Martin Margiela and NYC Fashion Week darling Prabal Gurung, one can easily discern that these design houses have gathered a heavy dose of inspiration from such lovely ladies–and polished Parisian stylingin general. Maison Martin even took the trend one step further by creating a shirt with BUILT-IN gloves. While not necessarily for everyone, it looks pretty darn bad-ass and is currently on my pipe dream of a fashion wish list.
This fall, long and lovely glove options abound for both the lux lady and the frugal fashionista. However, for those looking for a true classic, going the vintage route is definitely your best bet. Here are our favorite picks for keeping those pinkies toasty and tasteful–along with a few amazing arm candy investment pieces as well:
1. Kenneth Cole Leather Patch Long Kint Gloves, $68*
2. Lanvin Crystal Embellished Leather Gloves, $1,965*
3. MMM Sweater with Leather Glove, $1,348
4. AllSaints Kinsley Long Leather Gloves, $85*
5. Leg Avenue Extra Long Satin Gloves, $3
6. Tiffany Opera Flair Gloves, $325* (sigh… )
7. Vintage 60s Pink Long Evening Gloves, $25 (from Paris!)
8. Vintage White Opera Gloves, $30